Thursday, December 15, 2011

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey

Title: Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
Author: Scott Tracey
Publisher: Flux
Publication date: September 8th 2011
Pages: 332 (paperback)

Synopsis:

Braden was born with witch eyes: the ability to see the world as it truly is: a blinding explosion of memories, darkness, and magic. The power enables Braden to see through spells and lies, but at the cost of horrible pain. 

After a terrifying vision reveals imminent danger for the uncle who raised and instructed him, Braden retreats to Belle Dam, an old city divided by two feuding witch dynasties. As rival family heads Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe desperately try to use Braden's powers to unlock Belle Dam's secrets, Braden vows never to become their sacrificial pawn. But everything changes when Braden learns that Jason is his father--and Trey, the enigmatic guy he's falling for, is Catherine's son. To stop an insidious dark magic from consuming the town, Braden must master his gift—and risk losing the one he loves.

My thoughts:

I think my expectations for this book were a little bit too high. Don't get me wrong, I really liked this book, but it didn't quite blow me away like I hoped it would. The main reason I bought this book was because I rarely see YA fantasy books in the GLBT category, so I grabbed this one as soon as I heard of it. So yeah, I was a bit disappointed, but it was still a very enjoyable read.

The characters, in my opinion were great. I loved Braden, the main character, a whole lot. I liked how badass and sarcastic he was. I liked how he tried finding out what was really happening in Belle Dam, and didn't let himself be manipulated by any of the two parties involved. I also liked Trey, because although his arrogance did kind of make him look like a jackass sometimes, he does care a whole lot about Braden and tried to protect him the best he could. Together they make a great couple, and I hope everything turns out okay with them, cause the ending of the book left a cliffhanger on their relationship.

I also really liked how the author interpreted magic. I have to admit though, at first it was pretty hard for me to understand how the whole magic thing worked and how did the witches use them and all that stuff, and although I still don't understand some things, I still really liked it nonetheless.

The beginning was pretty slow, and I found myself bored at some points but I kept reading, hoping it would pick up. And it didn't take long for it to do. I liked the mystery side of it and how I couldn't figure out who I should trust and who I shouldn't. The ending did let my unsatisfied and wanting more, so I'm kinda bummed that the second book only comes out in Fall 2012. I'll make sure to grab it as soon as it comes out.


Happy Reading!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment