Saturday, December 10, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton
Publication date: December 2nd 2010
Pages: 372 (Hardcover)

Synopsis

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.



My thoughts: 

Ahh, what an enjoyable read! You know, when I first saw this book on goodreads, I didn't think much of it; I usually don't read novels that are mainly focused on the romance. Yes, I put it in my to-be-read list, but it wasn't like I wanted to read it real bad. But then, I kept seeing reviews of it, saying how great it is and how it's not the usual chick-lit romance novels. So I decided that I'd give it a try and I bought. And I'm glad I did. I just regret not buying it before, because this book is so good! I must say though, it wasn't as amazing as everyone else said, but still very very good.

The first thing that really made me love this book was the setting. I mean it's Paris ! Although I have been to Paris once, it was still like discovering the city for the first time all over again. Perkins is a great author in my opinion, because of the way she describes things and places and everything else. It felt like I was visiting the city alongside with Anna and St. Clair and everyone else. 

Speaking about characters, let's start out by Anna. She was such a likable character! I mean yes, at first I was a little like "huh???" at the beginning when she kept saying how she didn't want to go study in Paris. Because I couldn't relate with that. I'd give anything to go study abroad. But anyways, the more I read the more I liked her. She's such a strong female character. She's funny and sweet and her life doesn't revolves around boys, she actually has interests and hobbies. Her interest for movies was something I really liked reading about. Sadly, while I did like her most of the time, she did get quite on my nerves during the last part of the book. I didn't like how she turned a little dramatic around the end, but hey I guess everyone has flaws.

Let's talk about St. Clair, shall we? The lovely, sweet, charming, funny, beautiful (do you guys want me to continue?) Étienne St. Clair. He was probably my favourite part of this book. He's so adorable and just so.... perfect. + he's got a British accent, what more do you want? Not only is he a great love interest, but he's also a great friend! I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about him.

Overall I think this book was such a joy to read. It gives you that warm, cozy feeling. I'd definitely keep this book in that cheer-you-up-when-you're-feeling-down list.



Happy reading!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment