Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Mayer

Title: Twilight Saga
Author: Stephenie Mayer
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Publication date (of the first book): October 16th 2009

My thoughts:

Warning: this review contains spoilers.

First of all, I’d like to say that yes, I did love these books the first time I read them, 3 years ago, I was kind of a fangirl over them, but then a couple of reviews opened my eyes and when I re-read them I finally realized how bad these books actually are. Not only did Stephenie Mayer copy a bunch of other vampire books, but she also succeeded at making everything she copied 10 times worse

Also, I don’t know for you guys, but reading these books made me have such bad headaches. I mean the writing. The writing. I don’t know if she didn’t have an editor or something, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW CAN BOOKS THIS BADLY WRITTEN BE PUBLISHED. There are so many grammar and syntactical errors that even for me, who doesn’t have English as my first language, noticed them. Not to mention that the dialogues between the characters were atrocious. You know what also surprises me, though? When I read reviews of people who read tons of books and are really good in English and stuff and they say these books are well written. It baffles me. I don’t know what they read, but it can’t be this Saga if they say it’s well written. 

Now let’s talk about what probably is the worse aspect of the Twilight Saga. THE CHARACTERS. Bella Swan is probably the character I hate the most of all the books I read. I hate her with a fury passion. She’s just a mary-sue…. or no, rather it’s just Stephenie Mayer who represented herself as Bella. Bella has absolutely no personality whatsoever AND she’s an idiot. In four books I hardly learned anything about her except what she likes to eat for breakfast and that she “was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with [Edward Cullen]. Oh God, kill me now. And what’s up with all these people loving her like she’s the most amazing human on earth. Everyone loves her; everyone wants to be her friend. BUT WHY? There’s nothing appealing about her at. She’s boring, stupid, arrogant, selfish and the only thing she does is complain ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It’s the only thing she’s good at. “Oh no it’s raining, I hate rain, my life sucks”, “Oh no Edward didn’t look at me today”, “OH NOOO, WHY IS EVERYONE IN LOVE WITH ME? MY LIFE IS SOOO HARD”. Ugh, shut up.

Edward. Ok, I could understand why some people love him so much, but when you really look at him, he’s nothing else than a creepy stalker. And before thinking that you want a boyfriend like him think about this: Would you like a boyfriend that watches you while you sleep, that breaks something in you car so you can’t go see your guy friend, that controls your every movement, won’t let you out of his sight and insults you. NO I DON’T THINK SO. 

So Edward and Bella’s relationship was just a big joke for me. First of all I don’t even understand why he’d fall in love with a silly little girl like her, who's not even a little interesting.


And last but not least, I’d like to mention some of the things these books teach people. 1. How important it is to have a boyfriend, how you CAN’T live without having a boyfriend. Remember in New Moon when Edward left Bella? And then Mayer decided to skip four (I believe it was four, I’m not quite sure) whole months of Bella’s life. What does that tell you? That when your boyfriend leaves you, you don’t have a life anymore. So girls, make sure you have a boyfriend, ok? Cause otherwise, 2. JUST KILL YOURSELF. Now remember when that dumb girl decided to jump off a cliff? Yeah? Wow, what a great message for teens, right? 3. P.E.D.O.P.H.I.L.I.A. I don’t care if Edward looks like a 17-year-old boy, BECAUSE MENTALLY HE’S STILL A 107 YEAR OLD MAN. If he weren’t a vampire he’d be a 107-year-old man in love with a 17-year-old teenage girl. And I don’t think anyone would be interested in reading such a book, I’m sure of it. Also I won’t even talk of Jacob, who in Breaking Dawn, imprints Bella and Edward girl who was born not even 10 minutes ago. Now I won’t go in details of the other messages that these books contain but just to name a few: abuse, anti-feminism, teenage pregnancy, selfishness, don’t get to attached to your friends cause they’re just a backup group of people who you don’t really like, you stand in the way of your mom’s and boyfriend happiness, so go away, if your boyfriend is mean to you, it doesn’t matter, just love him even more, if you fall in love with someone then leave your family for them, AND SO ON.


You know, I find it quite funny when I see some people say “But you don’t have to analyze it too much, it’s just for fun”. No it’s not. I’m not going to pretend that these messages aren’t there, that the characters, the 

writing and everything else aren’t bad. If you want to do that then go ahead, but it’s still there.

Now I’m gonna finish this here because the more a write the more anger I have for Twilight. 

Happy reading !
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment