Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Title: The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books
Publication date: October 6th 2009
Pages: 375 (Softcover)

Synopsis:


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recolection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is empty. 

But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls. 
Just like Thomas, the Gladers don's know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as anyone can remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, for just as long, they've closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the Maze after dark. 
The Gladers were expecting Thomas' arrival. But the next day, a girl is sent up- the first girl ever to arrive at the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might find their way home... wherever that may be. But it's looking more and more as if the Maze is unsolvable. 
And something about the girl's arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers- if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

My thoughts:

What an incredible book. I absolutely adored it. This book just confirmed even more that dystopia is my favourite genre. I don't know what about dystopia fascinates me so much, maybe it's to read about all these futuristic worlds that each author creates, and to see how the characters live in it. And James Dashner succeeded to grab my attention from the moment I picked this book up. I liked discovering the Glade, finding out how these young teenage boys learned to live in it, but not only live in it but keep an order as well, despite their young age and their terror. 


I read a few reviews, and most of them said how they found the beginning of this book really slow, but in my opinion, it wasn't at all. Yes there wasn't much action at the beginning but I think those chapters were important to introduce us to this world, to the Glade, the Maze and the characters. The characters. I loved almost each and every one of them. I loved how they were strong even in this world of confusion and terror. I could connect with them, feel their frustration and that just made me enjoy this book so much. The only character I didn't feel much for was Teresa. It might be because she appeared so late in the book, but I really didn't feel any connection for her, I even wish she wasn't in the book. I don't think she brought much to the story, but that might be just me.

Overall, I think the world building and the plot were ingenious.  Definitely a well deserved 5 stars !

Happy reading !
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment